Today is the first day I have enough front desk staff working and trained since taking over as owner of SDY 4 months ago! I feel as if a weight has been lifted. I’m so grateful for my new yogi family. In honor of this momentous occasion I shall post twice in 2 days. The blogosphere might come down around me!
As I was going through piles of things undone, I found a copy of MINDBODY’s Core Values and realized I hadn’t worked on my own Core Values since November. (Double sad face). After reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and feeling completely connected to MINDBODY’s while I was employed there, it was on my list of Big Picture – Must Do Things. Most people I know don’t feel the need to think about this or write it down, even if they do have a list of sorts. I have an intimate connection with writing things down though. So, below I am so excited to share the first draft for Smiling Dog Yoga. I’ve certainly borrowed a bit from MINDBODY and Steven Covey, but added my own spin. I’m pretty sure these can serve as my personal core values as well, but we’ll see how I feel after I marinate on it a bit. Enjoy.
SDY Core Values
do yoga. be you. be awesome.
- Committed to Living Yoga. We bring the yogic attitude to all we do. Aware that we must take care of ourselves beyond the mat and nourish ourselves in multiple dimensions. Committed to not letting our ego’s get the best of us. Striving to live well balanced lives, focused on responsibilities, relationships, recreation, and rest.
- Continuously Evolving. Aware that we must evolve to remain useful and relevant as yoga river guides. Questioning the status quo. Pushing ourselves to our healthy edge and inspiring others to do the same. Not judgemental of where we are today.
- Brutally Honest and Committed to Integrity. Willing to be honest with ourselves and others. Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living with integrity. Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people. To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful.
- Humble and Helpful. Proud, but not prideful as pride impedes future growth. Thankful to be part of such a great community and to serve our wellness community. Helpful because we can, not because we have to. Seeking first to understand, then to be understood.
- Proactive. This means more than merely taking initiative. We have the responsibility to make things happen. Once we have taken control of our lives we can begin to influence our world-our homes, workplace and community. Bring solutions to observed problems rather than merely complaining about conditions.
- Caring and Happy. Caring for each other, our vendors, students. Striving for win-win in all situations. Taking actions that lead to long term happiness in ourselves and others.
- Environmentally Conscious. Conscious that maintaining a healthy planet is the paramount responsibility of every human being. Commit to taking actions to minimize environmental footprints, at the studio, in our personal lives, and beyond.
- Committed to “3 C Leadership”.
- Competence – knowing what we are doing
- Character – doing the right thing, even when it’s not convenient
- Compassion – care as much about others as we do ourselves
- Respectful. Treating others as we wish to be treated, with courtesy, politeness, and kindness.
- Driven. Driven to help our students have the best yoga experience possible, ensuring they always leave taken care of and satisfied. Creating a better world through lives of purpose and integrity. Conscious that SDY is serving a cause greater than each of us individually.