A Top Five List of some of my Fave Yoga Thangs.
- Shiva Rea: Daily Energy – Vinyasa Flow Yoga. This is my favorite yoga DVD to date. It has 7 twenty minute practices that you can mix and match, or just do on their own. It includes solar (strong) and lunar (more mellow) flows, a core, backbending, and forward bending/hip opening sequence as well as moving meditations to warm up and and savasana/relaxation. I didn’t really do DVD’s until this one. It has a yoga matrix which allows you to select the sequences you want to do in what order, so you can create your own practice.
- Jade Yoga Mat. My favorite yoga mat hands down. My hands never slip in downward facing dog, no matter how sweaty I get, no matter how wet the mat gets. I love that the mats are made in the U.S. and with tree rubber so it’s earth friendly. Stop using that cheap mat you bought on a whim a few years ago. You will not be disappointed with this purchase. I also have their travel version, which is great too. They last a long time. They only start to disintegrate on me after long, 10 day vinyasa trainings where I roll over my toes 3-5 hours a day.
- Manduka Mat Sling. My favorite way to carry my mat around town. It simply slides over the ends of the mat, you don’t have to try to fit it into a bag with funky material that sticks to it and messes up your perfect mat roll. It has a little key-chain, tote thingy for the bare essentials. I like how simple it is. Not a bare essential, but useful.
- Yoga Paws. Ok, they’re pretty dorky looking, but for anyone who likes to travel lightly and simply, they’re pretty awesome. You don’t really need them, I’ve been know to practice wherever I can, with whatever I’ve got around me (the photo at right is an example), but I miss my sun salutations when I travel, and where there is a downward facing doggie, I like to have a little support under my paws.
- Last but not least, I’m having a hard time deciding. Should it be my cork block, or my extra long strap, one of my favorite books, or frankly, the freaking will power it takes to do the yoga itself? All of the above depending on how you like to roll. I’m going to go with a teacher who rocks your world. I have had a few, and they aren’t just my yoga teachers, the way they carry themselves is pure inspiration, it makes me want to be a better version of myself. They inspire me with their smiles. They show you how to live. We all need one. Lisa Pittelli, Shiva Rea, Camille Thom, Baron Baptiste, Kira Rider, Amber, Rochelle, so many along the way LOVE EM! So thankful for their light in my life. Find one if you haven’t yet. Just do it.
How about you? Any favorites? Next top 5 suggestion?